The Chugiak/Eagle River Food Pantry provides temporary, emergency food assistance to neighbors in our community. Chugiak/Eagle River churches created and support the Food Pantry, along with private individuals and organizations. The amount and types of food available at the Food Pantry vary greatly, depending entirely upon donations. Eligible neighbors may receive food 1 time per month, for a total of 8 weeks each year.
Be involved by volunteering and/or donating food. Volunteers are needed to stock shelves, break down cardboard boxes, sweep/vacuum floors, clean-up, staff food drives, do bread deliveries, and recycle. To volunteer, contact the Food Pantry at (907) 694-5228.
You can donate food at UMCC by leaving it in the wagon in the Narthex. Monetary donations are also gratefully accepted and can be placed in the offering plate during Sunday services.
Needs for Holiday Food Baskets
During the holidays CER Food Pantry puts together Holiday Food Baskets. They depend on donations to keep this generous holiday program going! Current needs are:
- Brown Sugar (1 lb. box/bag)
- French Fried Onions (small size)
- Mushroom Soup
- Mini Marshmallows
- Box/Pouch Mashed Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes/Yams
- Cranberry Sauce
- Brownie Mix
- Cake Mix/Frosting
- Fruit Cocktail
- Roasting Pans
- Dinner Rolls
- Whipped Cream
- Turkeys and Turkey Breasts
The Chugiak/Eagle River Food Pantry is located in the Eagle River Presbyterian Church at 12836 Old Glenn Highway. It is open Mondays and Fridays from 10 am to 1 pm, and on Tuesdays 5:30 - 7:30 pm.
- Meat: Canned Chicken (small), Vienna Sausage/Beanie Wienies
- Tomatoes: Paste, Stewed, Diced, Pasta Sauce
- Beans: Refried, Kidney, Baked, Great Northern
- Fruit: Fruit Cocktail (mixed fruits), Mandarin Oranges, Pineapple, Juices
- Vegetables: Mixed Vegetables, Spinach, Greens, Sauerkraut, Beets
- Instant Soups: Ramen (Beef, Pork, Shrimp, Oriental) and Cup of Noodles
- Soups: Beef soups, Bean w/Bacon, Chowders, Beef Broth (any soups EXCEPT chicken noodle and Tomato)
- Pasta Mixes: Rice-A-Roni, Hamburger Helper, Macaroni, Ravioli, Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Crunchy Peanut Butter (small & large)
- Personal Care: Tooth Brushes/Paste, Shampoo, Lotions, Bath/Face/Hand Soaps, Toilet Paper
- Other: Laundry Soap, Dish Soap, Quart sized Ziploc Bags, Egg Cartons (dozen), and clean bags
Can use large bags (12, 15, 25 lbs.): Pinto Beans, Sugar, Brown Rice
Items not needed at this time: Chicken Noodle Soup, Tomato Soup, Peaches, Green Beans, Spaghetti.
Volunteers Needed- various times Mon-Fri